Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Countryside


It didn't take long to get back into the rhythm of the ride on this trip. The competing concerns of normal life gave way to just one primary objective – to keep moving. Of course, there are other ancillary obligations, but they're all very basic: eat, find a place to sleep, wash my clothes. Those simple tasks can become more challenging when you're in foreign territory on a bike, but it has all come together nicely over the past eleven days, even in tourist country during the holiday weekend.

This morning I woke up to the first flat tire of my trip. Out of practice, it took me a little longer than it should have to change the inner tube. All the better, my late start allowed the cool morning to warm a bit. My plan was to gain back those miles that I lost yesterday, so I was in a race against the setting sun nine hours ahead.


As I rode through the Michigan countryside, it was clear that fall is upon us. I passed through apple orchards and pumpkin patches. A quiet back road took me past a row of Michigan centennial farms -- farms which have been in the same family for over one hundred years. An elk ranch was tucked away near cornfields.


Further down the road, as I turned around a bend, I scattered a rafter of wild turkey, which flapped and leaped in every direction. Several more deer crossed my path, including a buck that jumped out into the road right in front of me.

I spent just over twenty miles of my ride on Michigan's first rails-to-trails path, a paved trail from Hart to Montague. I continued on through Muskegon, a bigger city with more sprawl than I expected, down to Grand Haven. Lakeshore Drive from Grand Haven to Holland State Park was a pleasant ride along rows of luxurious lakefront homes.

I arrived at the state park after perhaps my longest day of biking ever -- 122 miles. After a steak at a nearby restaurant, I met a motorcyclist who was also riding the circuit around Lake Michigan. I joined him for a beer, provided some suggestions on routes, and talked about the joys of getting out on the road.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Brian, 122 in one day is mighty impressive!

    It may please you to know that feat has eclipsed what I thought might be my lasting memory of your third coast sojourn . . . you arriving at the Petoskey State Park, soaking wet, putting up your "tent" and then, after climbing into that space which is but a few inches bigger than your body, sipping a bottle of Jim Beam until you fell asleep. Well, that is how I pictured it anyway.

    I hope today was as beautiful for you on the west coast of Michigan as it was on the east coast. Wishing you many more memorable and enjoyable moments as you cycle through the homestretch - is it too much to hope that there will be a stop (with pictures and commentary) at the Jackson family museum as you pass the Gary area??

    Peace,
    Jim

    ReplyDelete