Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sweet Home Chicago


Yesterday provided a gorgeous end to my trip. The weather had slowly improved over the previous few days. Mostly cloudy skies were giving way to partly cloudy skies and the air was warming as I moved south. Friday I set off on the final leg of my journey under a bright blue, cloudless sky, and temperatures in the 70s.

I hit the Indiana border after a short ride along the coast in Michigan. Although Chicago was within reach, wildlife sightings continued. I saw a fox near Union Pier and a blue heron as I biked through the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. Narrow lanes ran through wetlands in the dunes, leading to lakefront communities tucked away around the park.

A frequent traveler on the Indiana toll road, I passed through towns whose names I had become familiar with, but had never been to: Michigan City, Chesterton, Porter, Hammond. I was learning that there was another way to enter the city than the Skyway.

For my last day I spent the majority of my miles on bike paths: the Calumet Trail to the Prairie Dunelands Trail to the Oak Savanna Trail to the Erie Lackawanna Trail. Connecting from one to another added miles to my ride, but allowed me to avoid the growing congestion on the outskirts of Chicago. In Munster, Indiana, I headed to the back of a nondescript office park, where one of the Midwest's best breweries sits -- Three Floyds. After a burger and a pint, I started pedaling my final forty miles.

Entering the city from the south, I biked through unfamiliar streets, eventually connecting with 41, South Shore Drive. Families gathered on front porches, enjoying the warm September evening. My bike loaded with gear, I'm sure I appeared an oddity.

Chicago's bike lanes were a welcome sight. At Rainbow Beach I hit the lakefront bike path, which hosted its usual collection of runners, bikers, walkers and rollerbladers. I was home.

The past two weeks were challenging at times, but always enjoyable. These trips allow me to take a fresh look at the world, free of my every day preoccupations. It's an impressive education for two weeks. I return to everyday life reminded of what's possible.

Thanks to everyone I met along the way -- family, old friends, and new friends -- and thanks to all who followed along on the blog, sent emails, and wrote comments. I wish you all a little adventure to look forward to.

1 comment:

  1. Brian,
    Glad you are home safe & sound with the trip ending with brighter days. I'm sure it will be tough getting back in the groove on Monday.
    Will talk to you soon. Lois

    ReplyDelete